What is Ajebutta?

>> Wednesday, December 16, 2009


Since I will be using this phrase from time to time and I figured I better explain what it means. The term Ajebutta originates from Nigerian pidgin English and it often spelt Ajebutter, Ajebota or Ajebutta.

If you are not West African or are not familiar with the pidgin English, then you are probably asking what is an Ajebutta...

Well, an Ajebutta is used to describe someone of high class and living a cushy lifestyle (think the phrase 'feels and looks like butter'). Or a high flying, high maintaining female always looking fabulously polished, she is socially prominent, well-known in her community and is seen hobnobbing with the big boys and big girls of society. The term Ajebutta is essentially the West African equivalent of the term 'Diva'. As we know, Diva's tend to be the foofoo fluff types, into big brand names and always looking correct from head to toe. They are the trendsetters, the go to girls for anything style and beauty, and ladies often the hosters of happening social events or VIPs to the hottest parties and events.

Ajebuttas are also often affectionately associated with African born person living abroad usually in a Western country such as the USA because it is believed they adopt the much more cushy western style of living. Hence my situation, as a Nigerian living in America for most of my life, I have been coined the nickname of Ajebutta by friends and family. I am also a proud Ajebutta because I love being a woman and expressing my femininity and being appreciated for it as well. I also pride myself in being an Eco-Ajebutta, that is an Ajebutta with a conscience.

In addition to Ajebuttas, there are also Ajebos and Ajepakos. Ajebos are essentially Ajebuttas. Ajepakos on the other hand are the opposite of Ajebuttas.


Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PeopleStyleWatch..........................
PeopleStyleWatch..........................
Photobucket"border="0">

Disclaimer

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP